Tuesday, July 22, 2014

An Intimate Ceremony (Unit 4 Hear! Ch. 2 Ch.11 in DM)

After this general illumination was drawn down from the reading of the Sh'ma, we draw it down into revelation in detail into all the Ten Sefirot through the 18 Blessings of the Amidah [Standing] prayer and lower down, to affect the actual healing of the sick and abundance of the crops...

In the Sh'ma I dial the number for the Big Boss. I'm not asking for anything nor do I say anything. I'm establishing a connection, and afterwards I can start the conversation. The Standing Prayer is like an entry into the Grand Hall of the Supernal King. When I take the three steps forward to begin the ritual, I traverse the separating "darkness and fog" and enter the Hall of the King. There is an etiquette about it. I don't enter right away and pat him on the shoulder. The first three blessings are not about any requests. I bow down, and politely I say "Greetings, my Master, the King, the Shield of Abraham, Resurrector of the Dead, etc.". And only afterwards, "I came to request from You in accordance with the attached list". And then I make all sorts of requests.

And this is also the end - the same way. These are the three steps backwards at the end of the prayer.  I was in His presence and now I don't turn my back right away - I walk back three paces. This means I'm returning to my world. And this is the idea of what we're doing in prayer. These are not secret intentions - this is the simple level. The way I would explain it to a first-grader. This is the ceremony of entry. We can't enter with our material bodies. I walk forward, stand, bow down, bless, request, end with words of gratitude and take three steps back, and with that has ended my "interview". This is something that on the one hand is very simple but has varying depths.

Sh'ma is about re-establishing and renewing the connection with the One Above, as a prelude to entering the King's chamber and asking for our needs. Despite the formalities involved, it is an intimate journey into the inner recesses of our relationship with G-d prior to going out into the world and its material affairs.

(The text in italics are the words of Derech Mitzvosecha by the third Lubavitcher Rebbe, the Tzemach Tzedek. The bolded words are Rabbi Adin Steinsaltz's commentary as heard on his shiurim on hashefa.co.il. The rest is my commentary. All rights reserved to Rabbi Steinsaltz. Pictures courtesy of Moshe Schlass.)

No comments:

Post a Comment